Thursday, May 08, 2008

A new kind of allergy :[

So I've been working at the movie studio as a prop maker for 2.5 weeks now. I've been making all sorts of stuff, working with hazardous materials every day. We're talking carcinogenic chemicals. It's just a matter of making things.

I use a respirator, face shield, eye protection, and go through what seems 20 pairs of gloves a day. But my arms are exposed. I've been mixing a lot of chemicals to make platics and to make rubber, as well as chemicals for silicone molding.

Two days ago, I developed some spots on my arm. More like a rash. Well, it is a rash (ie. contact dermatitis). I am having an allergic reaction to one of the chemicals I'm working with. I'm not 100% sure which one it is, but have an idea. There is a liquidy one that I mix by hand that gets a bit messy, and I'm suspecting that. Rashes on both my arms, mostly concentrated on my forearms, and a few itchy bumps on my biceps. Just one of the costs of making a movie. Chemicals...

I'm now carrying around hydrocortisone cream to help with the itching. But I came up with something creative...I'm going to use socks, cut off the toes, and put them over my arms as sleeves. They'll give a bit of protection. I ended up buying some funky socks to do that with.

You're probably wondering why I just don't wear a long sleeve shirt...well, we work in a non-air conditioned hangar, and it's getting hot out. So I think the sock sleeves will be the solution. Hopefully the rash will clear up soon!

As for the job, it's going well. I put in 70 hours last week, and am putting in 70 hours this week as well. The pay is incredible, more than I've gotten before. Work hard in the short term, save up money (since I have no social life right now). I was slated to work for 4 weeks. Then the other day, my boss asked me if I could stay on for longer. Of course, I said yes. But it is an unknown as to how long I'll be on the project. Which is fine with me. No worries.

I'm learning a lot. Making molds, making plastics, rubber, and using all sorts of power tools. Now it's inspiring me to do some woodworking! Well, not now, but maybe sometime down the road...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what movie studio do you work at and how did you get your job? it sounds so cool. it being a MOVIE studio, of course it would be cool!

12:54 PM  
Blogger marisa said...

I'm not sure or not if I'm allowed to disclose that yet. It's a local Austin studio. Once the film is out, I'll have the details!

7:08 AM  
Blogger textile_fetish said...

So you are working with Sarah? Sheesh! I thought you were working 12-hour days setting up your new business. Mystery solved! I hope we can get togther in the next month (Sarah, too!). I want to hear what you've been up to.

11:58 AM  
Blogger marisa said...

haha..I guess I just don't make sense anymore. These long hours have me talking nonsense! ;) Yeah, we got a job working with a film studio, making props and doing set construction. It's pretty crazy...don't know when the last day of the project will be...it's nice income, and will help pay for a huge deck that we're going to have built, so it came it good time. I'll have to put off my business plans for a bit longer...

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home