Sunday, December 02, 2007

Training for Aconcagua...

...well, sort of...

Sean wants to climb Aconcagua about a year from now. Ever since we did Kilimanjaro, he and I have been on a 'we want to climb X mountain next' kick. But it's been about 2 years since we conquered Kili, and we have climbed nothing.

Since then, we have learned some things. Sean is well capable of doing those things -- mountaineering and whatnot. As for me..well...I've learned that I have physical limitations preventing me from doing such extreme things...

The summit of Aconcagua is 22,841 ft in elevation -- the highest peak in the Americas. I feel that I could go to those heights with proper acclimatization. However, the climb itself...I have come to the conclusion that I can't do. The reason: you have to be able to hike for hours and miles at high altitude, ascending, carrying about 60 pounds in your backpack

Yeah, the 60 pound pack requirement automatically knocks me out of doing it. Up Kili, I carried about 30-35 pounds, which is my limit for that kind of hike (high altitude, many miles, many hours, multiple days). That's about a third of my weight. 60 pounds...that's over half of my weight, so there's no way.

At first, it was kind of a bummer to find out that I can't do it due to physical limitations, but I've come to grips with it. The big mountains are not for me. But I told Sean that if he seriously wants to do it, that I would train with him. Mostly, so that I have motivation to get my own ass in shape.

Tomorrow we start our training regiment. We'll wake up at 5:45am (wake up, let the dogs out, blah blah), and walk around our neighborhood til about 7:10am -- about 1 hour walk. Sounds easy, huh? Well, we live in the hills near Lake Austin and Lake Travis. And there are some serious hills around here. And getting your ass up at 5:45am to do it..we'll see how it goes.

I won't tackle the mother of all mountains in the Americas, but I think next year I'd like to do some of the Rockies or some of the mountains in the Pac NW for training. So that's my goal...the Rockies, the Pac NW next year...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I admire you not just because you always are pushing your physical limits, but becuase you can make yourself wake up at 5:45 to do it! That right there is where my physical limitiation lies. Alas.

-Lisa

8:05 AM  
Blogger jeca said...

Wow! Something else to add to my wish list. Kili, Inca, Aconcagua...who needs to come up with their own list when I can just follow in your steps?

7:54 AM  
OpenID soyan74 said...

Merry Christmas! Damn impressive, but I'm with you - Kili was fantastic, but I don't need to do another big mountain. I can't believe it'll be 2 years on the 27th when we started up the mountain.

Have fun training! Cheers, Soyan

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home