Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Oh the things you'll do for health!

I've first went to the Allergist about a year ago. They found out that I was allergic to everything on earth except for mold. So since then, I've been doing 3 shots 1-2 times a week.

The shots make me feel a little crappy everyday, but it's a crappy feeling that I can manage. I haven't had a run of bad, bad allergies which creeps up on me multiple times of year. So I'll take the little crappy feeling everyday versus the full blown allergies (ie. ER visits because you pull a rib muscle and have inflammed rib cartilage is not cheap!).

I had my 1 year visit with the doctor himself on Monday. Everything has been going fine. But I did mention to him that I'm constantly mucousy every day, and it has been an ongoing thing for as long as I can remember. Constantly having to clear my throat because of the mucus build up. 'Post nasal drip' is the medical term for it. My post nasal drip is much worse than the average person.

He recommended that I use NeilMed's Sinus Rinse. We found it at Walgreens by our house, tucked deep in the bottom of the sinus/allergy section. We bought a neti pot by the same company to use with the solution. I figure, hey, at this point, I'll give anything a try.





At first, I was scared and nervous to use my very phallic net pot. I thought that I would choke and spit the solution up. I followed the directions, and it actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It worked just like the directions said. I laughed so much. Running 8 ounces of warm saline solution through one nostril and out the other is..akward at first. My eyes teared up, too. Then I had to do it starting with the other nostril, all over again.



But it was much easier that I had expected.

Since I said that, Sean had to give it a try. He had a harder time getting it started. Well, he didn't read the directions, either. He had his mouth closed, which created a pressure seal. So I told him to open his mouth and breathe through it. He still had some issues, then finally he got it started, but it made him laugh..he pulled away the neti pot, and here's the cool picture that came out of that:



He finally got the hang of it and let it flow...



I had never even heard of these things before. It's so strange. We'll see if it works. And if it does, maybe I'll upgrade and get a cute ceramic neti pot. Right now, it's given me a little sinus headache. But for kicks and giggles, google "neti pot" or search for "neti pot" on flickr...=D

1 Comments:

Blogger youngandwithit said...

Ew, I do not think that I would like that!

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home