Monday, October 01, 2007

What's that in my shoe?

Yesterday, I had left my muddied hiking boots out on the back patio to dry. After work, I needed to water the bamboo plants, so I went to put them on. I use hiking boots because of the crazy inclined hill and the thought of tumbling downhill with little ankle support doesn't really appeal..especially with a bum ankle.

I slipped on one boot. Then I went to slip on the other...*OUCH* I turned my boot upside down and something fell out of it. I tried to put my foot back in, thinking I got it out *OUCH* Now I was wondering..what the f***? I looked in, wondered if something was stuck to the top, reached in *OUCH* I turned the boot sideways, banged the heel on the deck and shook it violently, and out flew a HUGE tarantula!!! It literally scared the crap out of me. I'm not too afraid of spiders, but the fact that that one flew out of my boot and pricked me with it's hairs not once, not twice, but three times...my heart pounded fast and hard! It landed on the deck, and I didn't know what to do. I put my dog's frisbee on top of it. Then I thought...I want to show Sean when he comes home! So I put the dogs' water bowl on top of the frisbee just in case he was powerful enough to move the frisbee and get away.


Click on image to see large picture

It ended up being the type of tarantula pictured above. I didn't take a picture of it just in case it would attack me. It was HUGE. We estimate the body alone was about 3 inches, so with the spread of the legs it was even bigger. Needless to say, it was one scary mother......!

When Sean came home, I told him that I found something in my shoe. He asked me..a scorpion? No a frog? No...a snake? No. I told him if he wanted to see it, he had to lift the dog bowl and the frisbee. He asked me if it was alive, and I said yes. He asked me if it would attack him, and I said maybe. Am I mean to tease him like that? I wanted to see how he reacted...

He lifted up the dog bowl. Then gingerly lifted up the frisbee to reveal the big brown hairy monstrosity below. The tarantula attacked the frisbee, which caused Sean to jump back and drop the frisbee. I was glad that he had some sort of scared reaction to it so I wouldn't feel so wimpy.

Part of me wanted to trap it and give it to my coworker since she likes bugs. She could always let it loose. But my heart was still racing, and I wanted nothing to do with the beast. I was more worried about my toe (it got my second toe that's longer than my big toe on my right foot). But all is well, I think I just got a few hair pricks and no allergic reactions. Just scared the jaheebaz out of me!

In the end, Sean shoved it over and it ended up at the corner of the deck...

2 Comments:

Blogger youngandwithit said...

I would lose it if I found a tarantula in my shoe!

Lose! It!

2:56 PM  
Blogger marisa said...

I did lose it a little bit! It freaked me out bad!

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home