Monday, June 04, 2007

Something else to add to my medical charts...

Thursday evening, Sean and I went to pick up some tickets for the pro-wakeboard tour in Ft Worth from one of the guys on the 360wakeboard forums. We were at his place, chatting away. Then all of a sudden, my vision started to fade to black...like one of those slideshows where the pictures fade...I knew what was happening. It had happened to me a few times in my life. It was the moment before you faint. I tried to combat it, trying to control my breathing, taking deeper breaths. I started sweating. At that point, I was insistent on leaving, since I didn't want to pass out in this guy's house who I had just met.

When we got in the car, I told Sean what was going on. My hands and feet got super tingly, so tingly that it hurt. I was sweating profusely. My limbs became really heavy. My stomach was tied in knots. I was trying to fight the blacking out part...

During the car ride home, I closed my eyes. And I was instantly out. I can fall asleep in the car easily, but not that easily, especially since I had a leg propped up. I was out. Then I hear Sean say something, and I respond, "I just needed to rest my brain". He said he said something before that, but I didn't respond. And in a bit, I was out again, until we got home.

When we got inside, I felt much better. Since I was okay, Sean went to HEB to get the nachos he was craving (he really wanted to get them on the way home, but I was like..just get me home...) The fainting feeling had passed, but I made myself stay up a bit longer to make sure I was okay.

I did some research as to what it could have been...something tied to my Hashimoto's Disease? anemia? (I used to be anemic) low blood pressure? breathing issues? heart issues?

Friday morning, I felt mostly back to normal, but just a small headache and groggy feeling. I called my Endocrinologist to see if it could be tied to the Hashimoto's. They said most likely not since my hormone levels are normal, but they would send me a lab request to get my TSH, T3 and T4 levels tested to be sure (my last test was in late April and in normal range). So then I called my primary doctor, told the appointment person what happened, and they were kind enough to sneak me in to an early appointment this morning.

The diagnosis was low blood pressure. I have always been in the low range, and even test myself at the grocery store machines and end up in the low range. But none of my doctors (all 3 of them) have ever said anything about it, I guess because I've been fairly asymptomatic...til now.

I consulted with my doctor a bit. They took my blood pressure 4 times, 2 times sitting, and 2 times standing. Plus listened to my heart and whatnot. My heart sounds normal. And they took 3 vials of blood from my left vein, which left my arm hurting for the entire day. But she said that it could be circumstantial, like just a sudden drop in blood pressure, standing up too fast, standing up too long (which is what I was doing), an irregular heart palpitation...she said next time, go to the ER.

So what does this mean for me? I need to eat more salt! Basically, do the opposite that the whole world tells you to do. Ironically enough, I was cutting back on my salt intake since it is deemd so bad for you. But now I will be salting everything up! One website also said to take in some caffeine. Well, I guess I'll be doing some research about this...

PS. No, I am not pregnant. Everyone keeps asking me that. I was having my period at the time, so that's why I thought anemia may be a cause...no babies for me!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Dixie said...

I hear ya on the no babies front!

Go salt! Whoo! French fry it up.

Seriously, I am glad that you are OK. I was a cashier while in college and my first day on the job, I got really lightheaded and started seeing spots and had to sit down. People started asking me if I was pregnant! Uh, no, apparently just nervous lightheadedness, but thanks for asking me such a blatantly rude question, folks.

11:50 AM  
Blogger marisa said...

Thanks...it's so weird...health stuff. I feel completely normal now. But it's just another thing to keep in check. My doctor said that I would probably be one of those people who would pass out in the choir. Luckily, I sat down during my entire wedding..otherwise I wonder if I would have passed out ;)

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! That is scary. I'm glad they figured out what it was though and that it was nothing too serious.

-corntastico

5:11 PM  
Blogger Natalie Tischler said...

Glad you are feeling better and that they figured it out! You are lucky that you HAVE to eat more salt. I love salt.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home