Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Rain rain, go away...

Seriously...it has been raining for what seems to be every day for the past week (at least a week). I measure from last week, Wednesday, to be exact, because that is the first day we started to move in to the new house. Other than the weather playing a factor into the move (about a 22 mile move), everything is going fairly well.

We decided to paint the bottom floor rooms of the new house before we move everything in. We know that we're lazy, and that it would take us 2 years to finally get around to doing one room...but the house needs it. There are some mismatched paint patches on the walls here and there, every wall and ceiling is the same boring light peachy color, and there are some random stains (look to be dog oil and food).

I took part of last week off to start the move. Day 1 consisted of cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. The people before us ran window units and never seemed to dust, so it was extremely dusty. They also used a lot of hair/makeup/perfume products because cleaning the master vanity/sinks was a bitch! Not to mention left shavings...yuck. But it could have been much worse. Sean said that when he was a kid, they moved into a house where the guy left used condoms...Also, I got the steam cleaners out to clean the carpets. Watched deer in the lot next door, and went back to the old house to load up my car.

We moved the dogs in last Wed evening. They were nutty. New territory. And of course, Bonnie had to mark her spot on our newly steamed carpet...doh!

Needless to say, the past week has all be kind of a blur of busyness. Moving, trips back to the old house, work, many trips to Home Depot, painting, cleaning, moving, night moving....

I'm taking a few days off this week to move and organize as well. On the bright side, my commute to work is about the same...around about 20 miles. But it's only about a 35 minute commute with beautiful scenary, rather than the Leander-Austin commute of about 1 hour on the concrete jungle of 183...I am loving the commute.

I've passed by Lake Travis, Lake Austin, and Mansfield Dam everyday. With all the rain, Lake Travis is looking fuller and fuller. Last week, they had some of the gates open and the water was splashing up on the bottom of the Low Water Crossing bridge. We also went down to the Apache Shores boat launch to check it out, and the water was definitely flowing...fast. Then sometime in the past week, it slowed down. The water looked like it was more of a normal level below the Low Water Crossing bridge. Today, they've opened 4 gates at Mansfield Dam, the most since the floods of 2004. Sean said that the water was flowing over the Low Water Crossing bridge today.

Some parts of central Texas got about a foot of rain over night. Leander/Cedar Park/Georgetown were also hard hit. I went out to the old house (Leander) this morning pack a load in my car. The ditch to the entrance of the neighborhood looked like it had completely flooded over previously because of the way trash and debris were spread about. But it had subsided when I was there. Sean called me to ask about the house, but the house is fairly uphill from the drainage ditch and far enough from the San Gabriel River that it was fine. Luckily in our new house, we live on top of a hill, so we're good here as well.

Well anyways, I must get back to unpacking a bit...

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I was just getting ready to email you to see if everything was okay with the rain. Glad to hear you live on top of a hill

1:39 PM  
Blogger marisa said...

Thanks for the thoughts! All is well here. Rained more tonight, though, and looks like may be some more later though...

9:42 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Bah, the rain! I like a little rain every now and then, but I am beginning to feel like I live in the Pacific Northwest!

You know, I work for the dam people, so times are pretty exciting right now. I love to watch the floodgates open. We walked down to look at the water coming out yesterday.

10:32 AM  
Blogger marisa said...

I know, a once a week rain would be nice..not every day!

I bet it is pretty exciting over there! I've been tempted to stop by Mansfield (since it's right down the road), but don't know where to go to look (plus, everyone else has the same idea). It is fascinating if your out of harms danger.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home