Monday, September 25, 2006

projects

Got back from the roadtrip Saturday eve.  No time to blog quite yet.


Just wanted to update with my latest project (life is full of them!).  I'm participating in an artist project through Art+Life+Kenya.  Artists receive a message in a bottle that inspires them to create art.  The art will be auctioned off at the Austin Children's Museum.  It benefits the Providence Childrens home outside of Nairobi.  The orphans there are orphans of the AIDS epidemic in Africa.  More about the Providence Childrens home can be found here.


Long story short, there was a bit of a fluke in the system, I didn't get my message in the bottle.  However, there have been 9 or 10 new orphans at the home.  I'm still going to participate without the message.  It's inspiration from the heart that comes to play. 


I'm planning on making a quilted wallhanging -- the main portion of it being a kanga, a traditional fabric of East Africa that women wear with a Kiswahili saying on it.  Below the kanga will be a scene inspired from my own trip to Africa -- Kilimanjaro, acacia and baobab trees, giraffes, and elephants.  I haven't decided whether I'm going to frame the sides of the kanga or not -- I think it depends on how big the scene below it is.  It will be hung from fabric where you can put a curtain rod in it, and I plan to embroider a Kiswahili saying onto that piece of fabric as well.


On the back will be some sort of quilter's cotton for the backing, but also a fabric cutout of Kenya, a piece of fabric that I will write on -- my inspirations for this project, maybe a few more inspirations in Kiswahili, and maybe even images from my own trip to Africa.


Well, the catch is...I have only one week to work on it if I want to enter it in the juried contest...EEK!!!  Yeah.  It's going to be a tough one.  If I can't enter it in the juried contest, then I can have two weeks to finish the project.


Well, I've picked out the kanga from the ones I carried over from Tanzania...time to get on the ball!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home