Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Exploding water and missing sewing machine parts make for a bad day...

So everything today was going fine and dandy.  I decided to make dinner today -- one of those package things where you add all the ingredients then put it in the oven.  Hey, I'm no cook, ya know...


One of the instructions was to put 1 1/2 cup of hot water in it.  So as I always did, I took out the Pyrex measuring cup, put 1 1/2 cup of water in it and stuck in the microwave for a few minutes.  I've done it a million times...


The timer goes off, I take the Pyrex cup out of the microwave.  The microwave is set high, above the stove.  Then *POW!!!*  What seems to be the myths of urban legends...the water explodes, and I'm showered with boiling water.  I let out a loud scream as a reaction to the burn.  I kid you not.  I was like WTF?!?  I've burned the top of my thumb and the side of my index finger on my right hand and bits of my scalp.  Thank bloody hell that it was only a minor first degree burn, but still singes, pains, and throbs.  So I'll survive, but WTF?


Sean said that he had heard something about that before.  I never had.  So I had to do some research on it.  Happens that I "superheated" the water.


According to a guy in the University of New South Wales physics department, "...superheating means the heating of a liquid to a temperature above its normal boiling point. The superheated state is unstable, and it can very rapidly turn into liquid at the boiling point, plus a substantial quantity of vapour...The rapid production of a substantial quantity of steam within the bulk of the water will cause it to boil vigorously and possibly to appear to explode. The result is boiling water flying at speed out of the container."


So that explains it.  Hey look, it's even on Snopes!  True, but *rare*.  Man, I must be perfect because it happened to me...sheesh...


So anyways, I get my thoughts back together, Sean's laughing at me, and I go to stick the dinner in the oven..oh shit, my newly burned fingers throb with pain at the nearest hint of heat from the oven!!! 


I go to my sewing area to work on my Art+Life+Kenya project.  I'm piecing one thing together that I'll need to sew.  I take my sewing machine, that was on the floor, and put it on the table.  Crap, it's missing the bobbin cover.  WTF?!?  Now really, is it my day or what?  I scrounge around on the floor trying to find this piece of plastic.  I tell Sean, so as to get some sympathy, and he helps me look for it.  Nothing.  Crap.  My project, which for the juried contest, is due SUNDAY, is all sewn.  I can't find this stinkin' part. 


Long story short, we never found the plastic p.o.s., watched an episode of Project Runway to calm my nerves, and hell, screw it, I'm not working on the quilt till tomorrow if I can find a replacement part in town.  If I can't find a replacement part, then I'm most likely going to pull myself out of the project since it'll take eons to hand sew everything the old fashioned way.


What a night!

1 Comments:

Blogger Dewdrop Falling said...

Omg! What a tough day. Hope you are feeling better!

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home