Sunday, July 09, 2006

15 minutes of fame (or maybe 5 minutes?)

So a few posts ago, I spoke briefly about making a television appearance. Well, finally, I have a moment to spare to blog about it!

The short version...I, along with Jenny of Textile Fetish and Caro of splityarn are going to be on a show called Uncommon Threads on the DIY network.

And the long version...I guess I'll start the story from the beginning...

Jenny had contacted me a while back ago, because she was contacted by someone from the show. They saw her site and liked the things that she had made. The gist of the show is that they are trying to find a crafty group and get 3 of the members together for the show to do their own projects as well as a group project.

We had to do a bit of paperwork and revisions to projects, and ad-hoc brainstorming of projects to submit to the producers. But we got the in. They only ended up picking one of my projects...which I thought at first..damn, they didn't like my cool ideas..but now I'm like..hey, I can be lazy ;) Jenny had definitely been on top of things. And we've all found out that this has kept us busier than expected!

I had to revise my project, since they said it was too complicated (ie. too long), so I cut it down. I did some of my step-outs (steps they show on the TV that are already done, because it takes too much time to do while filming...like pinning) last week, but will have to make more. Luckily, I have some time to work on that and other samples as well. I should have it down pat by the time we go!

We got our flight info recently, so we'll be flying to Burbank from Aug 9 - 12th..woohoo! They're putting us up on a hotel as well and feeding us some. With 4 days, I'm sure we'll have some downtime to explore a bit. I've only been to LAX with $6 to my name, so it'll be a first for me to explore LA and the regions. We'll have fun.

We have a hint of what to expect since one of the girls from PDX Super Crafty has blogged about their experience on the show.

We don't know when it will air quite yet...maybe sometime next year?

But anyways, if you want to see my talent and diy skills, check out my DIY set on flickr. I've got plenty more projects I've done, just haven't taken pics of them...

5 Comments:

Blogger textile_fetish said...

I like your comprehensive write-up!

10:20 AM  
Blogger marisa said...

Thanks! I'm finally getting on top of things! ;)

5:13 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hey Marisa, this is Sarah! Congratulations on your TV appearance, that's awesome!

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Amie said...

I had to laugh hard at that picture of Drew, Larry (my fiance), Allison, and I on your Flikr account. I looked like I was mad or something. Scary stuff!

How did your shoots go? How was it working with Lorelei?

8:09 PM  
Blogger marisa said...

hehe..mad from hunger!!! The shoots went well. Definitely a learning experience for all of us! Working with Lorelei was fine. I think that everyone, producers included, were trying to work kinks out of the program after only shooting for a week. But hey, we know what to expect for next time ;)

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home