Saturday, May 20, 2006

My new bike!!!

So I've been wanting a bike for..oh...most of my life. When I was a kid, I got my sister's hand-me-down, which was rusted by the time it got to me. I didn't use it much. So I rode it around when I was about 5 or 6 years old...

In 2004 at age 27, I found myself in a city surrounded by mountains in Peru called Huaraz. So tempted to do a bike tour, but knowing better...I didn't do one. I spoke with a local guide, Holmes. He had me hop on his bike, which was waaaay too big for me, and gave me a push..I instantly jumped off, fearing the worst of injuries in front of the Plaza full of gringos basking in the sun...

Last year, I decided to rent a rickety old bike in Buenos Aires, Argentina at the Ecological Reserve. It was, after all, only $2/hour. What the heck, why not..see if I could ride a bike. I was really wobbly at first, and for a long time..but then I got the hang of it. Soon after, I was coasting by the waterfront, with the city of Buenos Aires seeming distant. I was so excited that I *could* ride a bike!


Biking in Buenos Aires


So for the longest time, I had been bugging Sean, for various occasions..birthdays, anniversaries, etc etc..that I wanted a bike. I told him that I didn't want anything special. I told him..a $20 Goodwill bike will do...

Today, we were out and about around town. We picked up another skateboard at Academy (so that we can both skateboard at the same time instead of taking turns). We checked out the bikes there. Besides the little kiddie bikes, they started at above $50. Ouch. We then hit up a pawn shop nearby, where we found bikes costing up to $900!!! Wal-mart was the same as Academy. On our way home, we went to a former CVS-now turned Goodwill (there are a few of those in Cedar Park), and had quite the luck. Sitting in front was a purple bike marked $15.99, with today's date on it. Heck, that's better than the $20 I had in mind to spend on a bike! It's a Murray "Mountain Climber" 10 speed bike. It had two flat tires, so Sean, handy as he is, got out his air pump that he can hook up to his car's adapter, and filled the tires, took the bike for a spin...yup, it was perfect. Well not perfect, but for $15.99..it was a good bargain.

We took it home and Sean set off to work on it to fix it up for me.


Sean fixing up my new bike




I hopped on it in our cul-de-sac, super wobbly like I was in Buenos Aires. I rode it around a little bit, to test out the seat height and whatnot. Then later in the evening, I went to pick up the mail from the mailbox (about 1 mile round trip - slightly downhill going, slightly uphill coming back). And I have to say..damn, I am so out of shape!!! When I got home, I was drenched with sweat and my upper legs were burning..from 1 mile!!! Pathetic!

But that's okay. I'm happy. I have a new bike :D

1 Comments:

Blogger Dewdrop Falling said...

Cool bike! Congrats!

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home