Monday, January 02, 2006

Mt Kilimanjaro -- conquered!!!

Just a quick note, whatever I can put in in the next 20 minutes...

Yes, from the headlines, you can see that I have indeed conquered that damn mountain. It was a hard, greuling, 5 days to the top. The ascent day, by far, the most difficult. On our 5th day, we started the summit attempt at 11pm. Yes, 11pm. It took me 8 hours to get to Uhuru Peak, the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro some 19,340ish feet in elevation. That day was extremely difficult -- cold, windy, sleep deprived...but I somehow managed to make it. And got a little bit of frostbite on my right thumb to boot. Hard to believe I was on top of Africa yesterday morning!!! Gorgeous sunrise over what is left of the melting glaciers.

Got off the mountain today, and glady took a long, hot shower cleaning my grimey body off after 7 days of wretchidness. Sounds exciting, I know :p

I have come to prove that you don't need fancy, expensive gear to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro (most of it was in my checked in luggage, which as of now, *both* pieces are still "lost"). Good friends fill in when luggage is lost. I've seen the spirit of human kindness (yet again, and on another trip!).

Tomorrow, we're off to safari until Saturday. Sunday, we've got plane tix booked for Zanzibar for some fun in the sun and beaching it (not that I have a bathing suit or sandals b/c it was in the check in...).

Happy New Year from Moshi, Tanzania!!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Marissa.....

-Slip

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Marissa.....

-Slip

11:06 AM  
Blogger corntastico said...

Yay! I am so proud of you, you ass-kicker you! And wow, I hadn't realized you'd come down in only one day. I had some stupid idea you had to do it slowly so your head wouldn't explode from descending back into lower altitudes. Have fun on the rest of your trip; I am so jealous! And happy New Year!

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Joey said...

HELL YEAH! You showed that mountain who is boss! :)

4:58 PM  
Anonymous travelgirltiff said...

i expect a million dollar cleavage shot from uhuru peak. however you may be able to satisfy me with one of you simply on the mountain. :) so proud and happy for you!

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home