Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I will exercise EVERY day for the next month...

Most people will probably think I'm crazy! But after finding a training regimen for Kilimanjaro online..that said..suggested -- to start 8 weeks before the climb...ACK!!! I'm scheduled to start climbing on Dec 27th. That is less than 1 month away from today.

So Saturday, I resolved to do some form of exercise every day up until the trip. So far, so good...

Saturday: went to the rock gym down south. While I'm not going for 4 hours like I used to at my peak...more like an hour nowadays...I still got a good workout. I'm not in the best climbing form anymore. But I did manage to throw down some routes that I couldn't conquer when I was in better form.

Sunday: hiked approximately 5 miles swiftly on varying terrain while carrying 35 pounds (that's about 37% of my body weight) of gear at Inks Lake; light weight training at home; a few pullups from the hangboard

Monday: combined walking/jogging for 1.25 miles and running up and down repeatedly on the bleachers (they're not that high, though) after work at the track at Williamson County regional park

Tuesday: that would be today...about a 3+ mile swift walk through the neighborhoods in the 44 degree weather. A good day to test out gear and my cold weather wimpyness. Well, maybe I'm not that wimpy after all! After an hour of swift walking, I was hot (granted I was wearing a 600 fill down jacket!).

tomorrow...yoga and climbing!

I'm also trying to train my body to intake more fluids. On the mountain, you're supposed to drink about 4-5 liters a day. Do you know how hard that is??? Well, still working on this one..having to pee every half hour sucks, though. But better now than on the mountain!

Well, whether I summit or not..that will be the question. If I don't summit, I won't be upset. I'm just glad that I'm trying. The fact that I'm even trying it is huge for me. I've always pushed myself to my physical limitations, and have seen that..wow, I'm not that wimpy after all! And this will be one hell of a challenge.

At least I'm more prepared (gearwise, at least) than this guy!!! A great story and what a pretty pink jacket! lol!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd definitely emphasize the water intake. Altitude is usually a problem for sea level folks - a prescription medicine called Diamox or acetazolamide can also help you acclimate and prevent altitude sickness. Very cheap generic medicine, but can't take it if you are allergic to sulfa drugs. But most importantly, listen to your body - I'd hope that your guides will be well versed in recognized HAPE, HACE, etc.. I think an acclimatization trip to colorado or new mexico to hike a 13,000 or 14,000 ft peak would help I'd bet. I live at 5,000 ft in albuquerque, and going up and being physically active at 13,000 or 14,000 ft still kicks my ass.

Good luck on the climb! =) We want to see photos!

- Richard of http://www.drpooh.com

7:33 PM  
Blogger marisa said...

Thanks for the tips, Richard! Nice website :D

I debated on taking Diamox for the Inca Trail last year (goes up to almost 14000 ft), but by the time I did the trek I was already acclimatized. I'm going to chance it without the Diamox this time around also. Maybe I'm crazy ;)

Luckily, I know how my body reacts to altitude. And it ain't pretty! But I do know when to call it quits, and if I have to...I will.

I thought about doing an acclimatization trip right before the trip, but just don't have the time (or money)! boo! But on the bright side, I spent about 2 weeks at 8000 ft a few months ago -- that was kind of a test for me (I've gotten altitude sickness around that elevation before) and my body did just fine. Not even a single headache! :) I did quite a bit of hiking from 8000 to 10000 ft. It still kicked my ass though.

I do know that...if need be, I can be airlifted off the mountain to Nairobi! lol. Hopefully, that won't be *me*! Or carted down to the base in a wheelbarrow (I kid you not). And again, hopefully it won't be me!

8:08 PM  
Blogger lys said...

Whoa, let yourself have some rest days, too. Overtraining's a bitch.

Hey, and if the guy in the pink jacket can make it to the summit, so can you. ;-)

11:48 PM  
Blogger marisa said...

I'm not really overtraining. Yesterday was a leisurely stroll around the neighborhood for about a mile. Exercise..meaning any form...walking to the mailbox and back, I count (hey, that's a mile in itself!). I'm trying to diversify my workouts here and there. Weights on some days, hangboard on other days, walking, etc. With probably a harder push (long hikes) on the weekends, when I have time to do them.

I overtrained when I began rock climbing, and I burned out fast. Boy did that hurt!!!

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home