Thursday, October 20, 2005

Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project

I've given the go-ahead to help out with the Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project that I mentioned in a previous post. I'm really excited about participating in this effort. As I said before, I feel that it is the least I could do.

I will be taking Continental and British Airways to Nairobi. On the lower weight side, I've found out that I can take two 50 pound bags with me. Karen Valenti, the program manager of the Project will give the go ahead to their US office and they will send me a 50 pound (max weight) duffel bag filled with gear. Now how I will carry this all the way to Tanzania, I have to freakin' clue. I'll probably make Sean carry it ;)

Here's the email I received from Karen:
Dear Marisa,

I am extremely touched by your willingness to be of support to others. You have made my day and given us the encouragement we need to continue with this work. I will have the U.S. office send you a duffel bag with a maximum weight of 50 lbs. if this meets with your approval. The IMEC office will notify you of the shipping charges which you can then reimburse them as a tax deductible donation. The last bag that was shipped to a courier was approximately $70. Do let us know if this will be agreeable to you. We will then have the bag sent in early December. You will see firsthand what a difference you will be making in the lives of the porters here! Karen


I feel like I am doing so little in this effort. I am amazed by the people there, like Karen, who have taken the initiative, and are running this project. They amaze me to no end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home