Monday, September 12, 2005

Katrina, closer to home

My first two years of uni, I went to the University of Houston. I was in the Honors College there. There were quite a few students in the College who were on scholarship from Louisiana, primarily New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

I was friends with one girl, a girl who sat next to me in Finite Math, named Marjorie. She was a spunky little person, about the same height as me. I remembered her stories of New Orleans, of growing up there and living there, of running red lights at night because you didn't want to stop (dangerous).

It's been 10 years since I took that class. But I still thought of her with the whole Katrina thing going on. I googled her name, and found her contact info. Or at least I think it is her -- she's about 28 (this girl is 28), she lives in Katy (would make sense that she'd live around Houston), and unfortunately, the way I found her was through the Red Cross Family News Network -- she's looking for a missing cousin from New Orleans. It's too coincidental -- this has to be Marjorie that sat next to me in class in the back of the room, goofing off in Finite Math.

I went ahead an emailed Marjorie. I don't even know if she'll remember me or not, but I just wanted to send her a note that I thought of her, and hoped her family was okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home