Sunday, March 27, 2005

I Dream of Africa

I vowed to myself that from now on, I will leave the country at least once a year. That way, I can live my life at home, yet satisfy my desire to travel and throw myself in another world.

So for this year, I've got two trips slated. Argentina for late July-August, and Tanzania for Dec 23-mid Jan.

Yes, I said Tanzania.

I've decided to do something crazy. I'm going to summit Mount Kilimanjaro on New Years Day. Well, it's actually not *that* crazy. It's just a high altitude hike and requires no mountaineering experience...so..pending that my body gets used to the altitude, I should be fine. I dread altitude sickness...



My friend Mike's pic from the summit of Kilimanjaro Posted by Hello


I've been dreaming and thinking about this trip for a while. And now it's closer to realization...I put a deposit on for the trip. The first part of the trip will be the Kilimanjaro hike, the second part of the trip will be a safari to the Ngorongoro Crater, and the last part of the trip will be an island hop to Zanzibar for some fun in the sun and possibly a bit of diving.

I cannot help this desire...no...need to travel. It's in my blood.

4 Comments:

Blogger lys said...

I trained with someone who climbed Kilimanjaro... she loved it! You're going to have so much fun. Mind if I ask who you're arranging the trip through? Because I could possibly be talked into something like that... ;-)

9:20 AM  
Blogger marisa said...

I'm going with Bootsnall, and independent travel/backpacker site.

There's a forum discussing the trip, as well as a sample rough itinerary.

And I think it will be far from a luxury trip ;) So, are you in for pooping in a hole in a shack? :p I've pee'd in a hole in a shack, and it was..omg..a scary experience! :O But all a part of the bigger adventure.

9:33 AM  
Blogger lys said...

Ha ha ha. Spending so much time trail running, I've had to get over my fear of pissing in the woods. Don't know about #2, though.

Of course, doing marathons, I've encountered some extremely frightful portapotties. Those would be the ones at the start, not along the course. You'd think that with fresh legs, people wouldn't miss, but I guess some runners just, um, explode out of the gate, so to speak. I'm just too frightened to check out the ones well into the race...

Thanks for the links -- I'll check them out when I get back from the farmer's market.

9:58 AM  
Blogger marisa said...

Excellent, then it sounds like you'll be ready ;) Nervous marathoner poops? Yikes!

I bet you'd leave everyone in the dust and run up to the top of the mountain! If you really want to do it, you should drag Brian to the top as well ;) Sean's going with me on this one.

Check out the forum..Donovan is the guy with all the info. He lived in Tanzania for a while.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home