Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Well, I had a busy weekend! :)

Saturday morning, Sean woke me up at 7 so that I could see the snow. Yes, snow! It's amazing how excited I get when it snows. So I woke up, got some warm clothes on, and started playing in it :) Sean and I made a snowman, about 3 feet high? We set him out in the front yard. The dogs loved the snow, they were running around the yard so much, and eating the snow. Shadow was catching snowballs.

Needless to say, I ended up skipping class. I found out later, that only 3 people showed up anyhows, and ACC didn't open till noon. Sean and I went to Four Hands to check out their warehouse sale. It was fully of rich yuppie scum looking for cool Asian imported furniture. Well, we found a cool table but didn't commit to it. We also asked about the donut chair, and they're out getting cushions made for them. Both would look good with our bamboo floors.

We got my torch set up..woohoo! Sean got me a huge oxygen tank and a good sized propane tank. We hooked it up, did some troubleshooting, and lit a flame to test it out. I haven't used it yet for jewelry work, but may work with it tonight...

Sunday, we went on an 11 mile hike with the Sierra Club at McKinney Roughs Nature Park. It was a pretty small group of people, most much older than us. Everyone thought that we were still in college. Well, technically, I guess I am still in college! The guide's name was Phil, and he was trucking! It was a pretty fast paced hike, up and down. I was pooped! But it was a hellova workout for me! Something that I really needed, and damn, I'm sore now!

Yesterday I had a visit to the dentist..ack! I had my crown done and a filling. They ground my tooth to a tiny little nub, and stuck a temporary, plastic crown on top until I get the permanent one. After that, I went home and took a nap...I was exhausted. I didn't do much during the day, then had to leave for class in the late afternoon.

Class was good. Stonesetting..well, same ole story. Casting was fun. I got to cast my pistacchio shell tree. I weighed out 199.6 grams of sterling silver grain, and took it over to the welding room. Since I had a large flask and a large amount of metal, I had to use the more intimidating, large centrifuge. It took a long time for my metal to melt into liquid, and the torch started to get really really heavy. Well, I finally melted it, Martha put the flask in the centrifuge, and I had the lid in my hand, and quickly dropped it to start the centrifuge. It was pretty wild. When the centrifuge was done, my flask was stuck! So, well, we tried to heat it loose, then we tried to hammer it loose. I took part of the crucible with my casting...oops! It was a bitch to clean all the investment out, that's for sure. Took forever to do that! But all in all, it turned out pretty good. Got some bubbles from investing, but I can saw and file them off, no problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home